Holy Spirit Touch My Heart (#68)


“I ask no dream, no prophetic ecstasies,
No sudden rending of the veil of clay,
No angel visitant, no opening skies;
But take the dimness of my soul away.”
                       
                        Spirit of God, Descend Upon My Heart
                                                             By George Croly

 
Okay another hymn.  What is it with these hymns anyway?
I seem to be in a “hymn appreciation season” (must be my approaching senior years!).
I was wondering what I should write about for the up-coming Pentecostal observance, and instantly the hymn referred to above “popped” into my mind.
It has always been one of my favourite hymns.  (Have I said that before? Oh well…)
The words are simply beautiful and impactful.  Of course, we don’t write this way anymore.  Our word-choice is much simpler.  But there is something beautiful about archaic language.
All that aside, the verse I’ve highlighted aptly conveys my view about the work of the Holy Spirit and His function.
Some of us focus only on the Holy Spirit’s miraculous powers as demonstrated in tongues, miracles, healings, etc.
But we forget that another function of the Spirit is to reveal truth; to give clarity and guidance.
John 16:13 says, “When, however, the Spirit comes, who reveals the truth about God, he will lead you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own authority, but he will speak of what he hears and will tell you of things to come” (Good News Translation).
The hymn writer, George Croly concurs with this verse.  He is not concerned with the supernatural; he just wants to see clearly, to discern.
I’m in agreement with him.  I too say “Spirit of God, descend upon my heart!”
©Kerina Hall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Life

God's Action File!

Of Panic, Prayer, Prophecy, and Promptings