Beautiful Simplicity (#168)


“The first Noel the angels did say
Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay…”


I was reminded of the raw simplicity of the first Christmas as the song “The First Noel” came to me at the start of my devotions this week.

This spurred me to hammer out the tune on my keyboard.  The result?   An impromptu singing session!

That is certainly “devotions set free!”

As I was saying earlier, there was a raw simplicity to the first Christmas.  Here we have an ordinary Jewish couple chosen to parent the Christ Child; the birth proclaimed first to poor shepherds; a stable the place of birth; and the town, the small city of Bethlehem.

Yes, there was a supernatural element: angelic choirs and visitations; kings from the East following a star which miraculously led to the place where the heavenly king was born.

But there is an overarching simplicity about the events nevertheless.

I call it beautiful simplicity.  A heavenly king born in a manger – simply awesome!
Sadly, today we have complicated this event.  The Christ of Christmas is no longer at the centre.  Instead, for some He lies buried beneath commercial trappings.

We must change this!

I therefore invite you to join me in centering Christ in the season.

Yes, join me in singing and meditating on the old but evergreen carols.  They really help to create a reflective yet festive mood.

And also reflect on the Gospel account of Christ’s birth.  You will be amazed and thrilled at the ingenuity of God and the miraculous ways He delivered the news of His Son’s birth and the lengths taken to ensure it happened.

Have a simply beautiful Christmas!

©Kerina Hall


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Life

God's Action File!

Of Panic, Prayer, Prophecy, and Promptings